Butternut Squash Pasta Bake
Cozy up in the cabin with a little Butternut Squash Pasta Bake. The perfect recipe for an après ski feast!
- 1 medium (2 1/2 pound) butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, in their jackets
- 12 sage leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (7.5 ounce) container crème fraiche
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) box orecchiette pasta
- 3 cups grated fontina cheese (12 ounce block)
- 1 (8 ounce) log goat cheese, crumbled into large chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees and butter a 13x9 baking dish.
- Peel and cube squash, and then roughly chop your onion.
- Add squash, onion, sage, and garlic to a rimmed sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss all together. Roast until squash is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Turn oven temperature down to 375 degrees.
- Pop garlic from its skin and add to the food processor along with the squash and onion. Puree until smooth.
- Add the crème fraiche and chicken broth and puree again until well blended.
- Add pasta to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 2 minutes less than indicated on packaging. Drain well in a colander.
- Add the pasta to a large bowl or the pot it was cooked in.
- Stir in the squash puree and mix together.
- Add half the pasta to the baking dish and sprinkle with half of the Fontina and half of the goat cheese.
- Add remaining pasta and sprinkle again with both cheeses.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.