Butterscotch Almond Bars
Make your own dream chocolate bar in a few easy steps...
- 100 grams butter
- 275 grams caster sugar
- 50 grams golden syrup
- 75 grams flaked almonds, finely chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- You will also need a 20 x 35 centimeters tin.
- STEP 1
- Line a 20 x 35 centimeters tin with baking parchment.
- STEP 2
- Mix the butter, sugar, and golden syrup in a large heavy-based saucepan and
- Stir in 50 milliliters of water. Bring to the boil and allow the mixture to bubble until it
- Turns dark golden brown (150°C on a sugar thermometer if you have one). It
- Takes about 10 minutes to reach this point on a fairly high heat.
- STEP 3
- Take the saucepan off the heat and add the almonds and sea salt. Stir well, then
- Pour the hot mixture into the prepared tin. When the mixture has been cooling
- For around 5 minutes it will begin to harden. At this point, use a sharp knife to
- Divide the mixture into 24 squares. You don't need to cut all the way through -
- Just marking it will make it easier to break into neat pieces when it is completely
- STEP 4
- Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl, and dip each square into the chocolate and if
- You like you can make a pattern by dragging a fork across the top of the
- Chocolate, then leave to harden completely on a piece of baking parchment.
- These will keep well in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.