Carbonara: To Cream Or Not To Cream
Cream or no cream, that is the question...
- 280g Spaghetti
- 100g pancetta, cut into lardons
- 100g Parmesan, plus extra for garnishing
- 1 Egg yolk
- 100ml Cream
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion
- 100g button mushrooms, slices
- Parsley, chopped to garnish
- TO CREAM: Heat oil in a pan and add the onion to brown. Then add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the mushrooms and let this cook for a minute or two and stir.
- Cook down until the mushrooms start to golden.
- Add the pancetta until crisp then turns the heat down and stir through the cream, seasoning and the half the parmesan. Add in half the spaghetti and coat, making sure the pasta is hot. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley.
- NOT TO CREAM: Place a large pan of salted water onto boil, and cook the spaghetti until al dente.
- In a pan heat a tbsp olive oil and a tbsp of butter.
- Chop the pancetta and add this to the pan to crisp then add in half the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add in half the spaghetti and grate in the rest of the parmesan and coat. Take off the heat and stir through the egg yolk, ensuring that the pasta is still hot. Serve with a little extra parmesan.
- Serve both with extra parmesan and chopped parsley.