Carrot Cake & Banana Bread Doughnuts
If cake and doughnuts had a beautiful foodie baby...
- 1 sachet of dried yeast
- 160 milliliters whole milk
- 50 grams unsalted butter
- 240 grams plain flour
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 handful grated carrot
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 1 small ripe banana
- Handful of walnuts
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 50 grams caster sugar, plus extra for coating
- 300 grams icing sugar, sieved
- 250 grams unsalted butter
- Splash whole milk
- 150 grams cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Sugar with cinnamon
- Sugar with mix spice
- Chocolate spread for banana filling
- Once ready, knock the dough back and divide into two. To one add the grated carrot and cinnamon, to the other add the mashed banana and the walnuts chopped.
- Divide the dough into 6 balls, and let this prove again in a warm place for about 20 minutes this time.
- Whilst you are waiting for this make the carrot frosting by beating the sugar and butter together until pale.
- Then stir in the milk and vanilla. Finally, beat in the cream cheese and set aside.
- Get your oil hot enough for frying and fry off the doughnuts for a couple of minutes on each side, until golden. Remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper.
- Place the two fillings into piping bag and make an incision in the top of the doughnut. Fill until you can feel the weight of the filling in the doughnut.
- Mix together the two different flavour sugars, and then roll the carrot doughnuts in the mixed spice and the banana in the cinnamon sugar. Delicious!