Cauldron Mac 'N' Cheese
A classic Mac 'N' Cheese with a Halloween twist served green in a cauldron
- 500g pasta
- 120g unsalted butter
- 60g plain flour
- 950ml whole milk
- 450g medium cheddar
- 150g parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- few handfuls of spinach
- green gel food colour.
- Pour pasta into a large pan of water and season with a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in another large pan. Once melted whisk in the plain flour and cook for 2-3 minutes to cook the flour.
- Gradually pour in the milk making sure to constantly whisk, this will stop lumps from forming. The mixture with go thick very quickly and then it will thin down once all of the milk has been added. Continue to cook and whisk until it thickens back up (around 10 minutes).
- Add the parmesan cheese and half of the cheddar and stir until melted.
- Once melted whisk in the salt and pepper, crushed garlic and mustard powder.
- Remove the thick stalks from the spinach leaves before stirring into the sauce. If your spinach is wet dry it off with kitchen roll first.
- Pour the drained pasta into the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and pour in the remaining cheese, the heat of the sauce will melt it leaving it a lovely stringy consistency.
- Optional: Add green gel food colour into the pasta and stir until evenly mixed. Allow to cool slightly.
- Spoon mac ‘n’ cheese into a cauldron fitted with a clear ziplock bag that has been stretched over the sides (this is for hygiene purposes). Serve up and enjoy :D