Caveman's Tomahawk Steak
Is this the biggest steak you've ever seen?!
- 1 tomahawk steak (cote de beouf) around 900g-1 kilogram
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig thyme
- 50 grams butter
- 2 chillies
- 3 cloves garlic
- Sprig rosemary
- 200 grams butter (softened)
- 2 onions
- 4 echalion or banana shallots
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pack of tenderstem broccoli
- Chop the sweet potato in wedges, coat in chilli flakes and paprika, a drizzle of oil and seasoning and transfer to an oven preheated to 190C for 30 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, make the flavoured butter by blitzing the chillies, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon paprika and rosemary leaves with the softened butter to a paste. This will be used to flavour everything else. Feel free to make the double the amount and save some for another day.
- Next, address the steak. Season really heavily with salt and pepper and heat up a cast iron pan until it starts to smoke. Open the windows, open the doors… this should take around 5-10 minutes but it is so important that it's hot! Sear the meat for 2 minutes on each side, without turning it and transfer to the oven with the sweet potato. The cooking time will depend entirely on
- The thickness of your meat (some may not required oven cooking at all), but should take between 10 and 12 minutes. The easiest way to check is with a meat probe and medium rare would have an internal temp of around 56°C.Meanwhile, slice the onions and sweat down in some butter and oil until caramelised and tender, about 15 minutes or so.
- Finally, griddle the broccoli in a cast iron skillet for 2-3 minutes and dress everything with the chilli and garlic butter. Slice the beef against the grain of the meat and serve with all the accompaniments.