Cheats Chocolate Soufflé
The only chocolate soufflé recipe you'll ever need!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp caster sugar (reserve 1 for the egg whites)
- 100g chocolate chips
- 80ml sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 190C / 170C fan.
- Generously butter the ramekin/s then spoon in some sugar and tilt the ramekin to create a coating of sugar all over the butter, tipping out any excess. Repeat with the rest of the ramekins, if using, and put to one side.
- Melt chocolate in a large bowl over a small pan of simmering water. Take off the heat and whisk in the condensed milk. Check the temperature and leave to cool for a few minutes if more than warm, then whisk in 2 egg yolks and put to one side to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar to firm peaks. Briskly mix in a quarter of the egg white, then gently fold in the rest in two parts. Divide between the individual ramekins or large one if using. Fill right to the top, then smooth off the top with a spatula. Run your finger around the edge of the rim to stop it sticking then place in the hot oven.
- Bake individual souffles for 12-13 minutes. They should have risen well, be slightly wobbly if you prod the ramekin, but be slightly firm on top.
- If you’re making one large souffle, test it’s done-ness by gently touching the middle of the top - it should have some resistance; if it’s liquid or wobbly then it’s undercooked and will deflate, so cook for another few minutes and then take another look.
- Once the souffles are cooked, dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.