A twist on the classic grilled cheese sandwich from Nebraska
- Tomato dip:
- Splash of oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 500 grams passata
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Pinch salt
- Pinch sugar
- 80 grams plain flour, sifted
- 1 large egg
- 125 milliliters whole milk
- Crushed Corn Flakes
- White bread
- Burger cheese squares
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add crushed garlic and onion and cook for a few minutes until the onions have softened.
- Pour in passata, herbs, salt and sugar and stir until combined. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl whisk the flour, egg and milk together until it forms a smooth batter. Leave to rest until needed.
- Cut crusts off two slices of bread and spread mayonnaise on top of each slice. Cover one piece of bread with 2-3 cheese squares and place the second slice of bread on top, mayonnaise side down. Cut sandwich shortways into 3 strips. Repeat for quantity needed.
- Coat each sandwich strip in the batter and roll it into the crushed Corn Flakes until all sides are covered. Repeat with remaining sandwich strips.
- Deep fry at 190C for 11/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Once fried place the Cheese Frenchees on kitchen roll placed over a cooling rack to remove any excess oil and to cool slightly.
- Serve with the tomato dip and enjoy :D