Cheese Stuffed Waffles
Waffles are great, but cheese stuffed waffles are better. Breakfast or dinner, these are perfect with crispy bacon and a runny poached egg.
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 eggs
- 255g plain flour
- 470ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Bacon fat (from frying the bacon)
- 450g mature cheddar/mozzarella or a mix of both
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Fry the bacon in 1 tbsp butter, then drain it and reserve the pan fat.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Beat the eggs in large bowl then stir in the flour, milk, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Mix by hand or with electric whisk until smooth.
- Pour in the reserved bacon fat, along with the grated cheese and fold through the batter.
- Brush the waffle iron with a thin layer of oil or melted butter. Pour batter in, taking care not to overfill, then cook until golden brown. Repeat until all the batter is used up - or reserve some in the fridge for up to two days.
- Serve the waffles hot, with crispy bacon and poached eggs.