- 250g mince beef
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp beef dripping
- 4 burger cheese slices
- 8 slices provolone/mozzarella/cheddar - your preference
- 4 slices thick white bread
- 50g butter, plus more for frying
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 8 dill pickle/gherkin slices
- American mustard
- Fries, to serve
- Place the beef mince in a large bowl and season liberally with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix thoroughly - the best way to do this is with your hands! - and then form the mince mixture into 2 square patties, no larger than the size of your bread.
- Place a frying pan over a medium heat and add the beef dripping. Fry the patties over a medium high heat until just cooked - they should take about 2 - 3 minutes on each side. Set to one side to rest.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread then, working 2 slices and a time, begin to build your toasties. Buttered side facing up, place 2 slices mozz/provolone/cheddar and place 1 slice burger cheese on top. Smear with American mustard then sprinkle over some onion and add 4 slices pickle. Add a patty on top. ON the other slice of bread, buttered side facing up again, place another 2 slices mozz/provolone/cheddar and 1 slice burger cheese and smear with ketchup. Sandwich the two slices together and set aside whilst you build your 2nd sandwich.
- Add some butter to a frying pan and set over a medium-low heat. Once melted add the toasties and allow to cook for about 4 minutes each side - until the cheese is melty and the patty warmed through. Serve with fries.