Once you've had this mash-up of a cheeseburger and a cheese toastie, you'll hear the angels sing
- 500 grams mince beef
- 1 pack American cheese slices
- 150 grams cheddar cheese grated
- Thick white bread
- 2 onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 50 grams gherkins, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon English mustard
- 50 grams butter
- Take your beef mince and season liberally with salt and
- Squash into patties, no larger than the size of your
- Chop the onions finely and cook out over a low heat
- Until softened. Add in the sugar and start to caramelise.
- Fry your patties over a high heat until just cooked -
- They should be about 1 centimeter thick so this should take no
- More than 2 minutes on each side. Set these to one side.
- Take two slices of bread and butter two sides. Smear
- The other sides in English mustard. Add a patty on top,
- Along with a sprinkling of gherkins and the caramelised
- Onions. Top this with plenty of cheese and close the
- Sandwich so the butter sides are facing out.
- Either fry one side in a pan with another pan on top to
- Push down and flip when the cheese melts, OR use a
- Panini machine or toastie machine to toast the outside.