Cheesy Herb Quiche With A Potato Crust
If you like a traditional quiche, look away now!
- 1kg potatoes, peeled
- 50g parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 40g butter, melted
- 1 egg beaten, for egg wash
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 150g cream cheese
- 150ml crème fraîche
- 150ml double cream
- 100g gruyere, grated
- 10g each of parsley, tarragon, chervil and chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- Tall sided 20cm springform cake tin
- To make the potato case: line a tall 20 cm springform cake tin with baking paper, and grease the inside of the paper.
- Peel and grate the potatoes on a coarse grater. Put them into a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can, then tip them into a large mixing bowl. Finely grate the parmesan and mix it through the grated potato along with ½ tsp salt and the melted butter.
- Tip the potato into the cake tin and press it up the sides of the tin and across the base, to make a firm case for the quiche. Put the tin into the freezer for 2-3 hours, or until frozen solid.
- Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan). Bake the potato case for 30 minutes then carefully remove it from the tin and put it onto a wire rack on top of a baking tray. Egg wash the inside and outside of the case. Pay extra attention to the inside - you want to make a seal so the filling doesn’t leak. Bake the case again for 15 minutes, while you make the filling.
- To make the filling: in a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolks together, then beat in the cream cheese, crème fraîche and double cream. Once the mixture is smooth, add in the grated gruyere, chopped herbs, salt and pepper.
- Take the potato case off the wire rack and put it onto a baking tray. Choose a tray with raised edges, as the quiche might leak a little. Pour the filling into the case and put it straight into the hot oven. Bake for 25 minutes, then let it cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serving the quiche: serve the quiche 30 minutes after you take it out of the oven, so that it’s set but still just warm. Serve with a light salad.