Cheesy Korean Fried Chicken
We found the only way to improve Korean Fried Chicken... cover it in melted cheese!
- 1.5 kg chicken wings - wings and tip separated
- Oil for deep frying
- 1kg cooking mozzarella
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp Gochujang
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Make the Gochujang sauce by whisking all of the ingredients together. Put to one side until needed.
- Heat 1 litre of oil to 130C, and pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- Add as many chicken wings as you can submerge to the oil, bring it back to 130C, then cook for around 20 minutes, until it’s beginning to turn golden.
- Drain the wings and turn the oil temperature up to 200C.
- Line a heavy skillet with greaseproof paper, and pile in the grated cheese.
- Fry the wings for a second time, in batches this time, until crispy and brown - around 10 minutes.
- When you’re on the last batch of chicken, put the skillet in the hot oven and let the cheese melt for 10-15 minutes. The cheese might release some liquid while it cooks - if so, just drain this off before serving.
- Pour the twice-fried crunchy hot wings into the Gochujang sauce and stir them around, then tip into the cheese skillet and serve, garnished with sliced spring onion and sesame seeds.