Cheesy Sweet Potato Enchiladas
You are not ready for the amount of cheese in these enchiladas!
- 2 red bell peppers, seeds removed
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3 centimeters cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons mixed dried herbs
- 400 grams can chopped tomatoes
- 400 grams can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Cheese sauce:
- 25 grams unsalted butter
- 25 grams plain flour
- 350 milliliters milk
- 175 grams mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 200 grams cooked rice
- 6 tortillas
- Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Cut the bell peppers into
- Strips about 1 centimetre wide. Toss the sweet potato cubes and bell pepper strips with 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a baking tray.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes until soft and slightly golden leave the oven on.
- In a medium pot, heat the remaining oil and add the red onion. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until the onion is starting to soften. Add the paprika, cumin, cinnamon and dried herbs and stir in. Add the chopped
- Tomatoes and turn the heat down to medium low to simmer. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it burning.
- Meanwhile make the cheese sauce: in another medium pot, heat the butter over a medium heat until melted.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add in
- the milk, stirring well between additions. Cook, stirring
- constantly until thickened then stir in 125 grams of the grated cheese.
- In each tortilla layer some rice, black beans, sweet potato and bell pepper. Tuck the ends in and roll up like a burrito. Lay into a baking dish, seam side down. Cover
- with the tomato sauce followed by the cheese sauce
- and then sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese.
- bake for 30-40 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- sprinkle with the coriander and sliced radishes and