Cheesy Volcano Bread
Kate's fondue meets cheesy bread is taking this food trend to the extreme!
- 210g plain flour
- 150g cornmeal
- 50g caster sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 270ml whole milk
- 120g butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Cheese sauce:
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g plain flour
- 800-900ml whole milk
- Salt & pepper
- 160g red cheddar, grated
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, caster sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt before stirring in the chopped spring onions.
- In a separate bowl mix together the milk, butter and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Don’t over mix. Pour into a bundt tin that has been greased with butter and lined with extra flour.
- Place into a preheated oven at 190ºC for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack.
- For the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat before stirring in the flour. Cook the flour mix for 2-3 minutes stirring continuously.
- Gradually whisk in the milk making sure to whisk constantly to get rid of any lumps and to stop the milk from catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Raise the heat and continue whisking/stirring until the mixture has thickened. Season with salt & pepper. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Place the cornbread onto a serving dish then pour the cheese sauce into the centre and over the edges. Slice and enjoy :D