- 1 large pumpkin
- 1 chicken, 1.2kg - 1.4kg (or as big as you can fit in your pumpkin!)
- 200ml milk
- 200ml white wine
- 1 lemon split into two halves
- 3 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 3 bay leaves
- 50g butter
- Remove the top from the pumpkin, around the lid, and hollow it out - removing all the seeds and stringy bits. Make sure it’s big enough to fit your chicken through!
- In a large pan, heat some oil and brown the chicken all over.
- Put your pumpkin on a baking tray, and your chicken into the pumpkin (if possible, bake your chicken in a pumpkin in a dish you want to serve it in, as it can be hard to move it once it’s cooked)
- Add the milk, white wine, lemon, garlic, bay leaves and butter.
- Put the lid on the pumpkin and bake at 190C for 60 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for another 60 minutes - or until a digital probe reads 80C when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken - and the chicken is nicely browned.
- Ladle some of the juices into a saucepan and reduce to make a delicious sauce.
- Serve the chicken in the pumpkin, and scoop bits of pumpkin out to serve too.