Chicken Waffle with Smashed Peas and Hot Honey
One combination that will always have our back is Chicken and Waffles. It is so easy and you just absolutely can’t go wrong! And with added hot honey?! You’re in for a treat, right Birds Eye?
- 2x Birds Eye Southern Fried Chicken
- 150g honey
- 1 red chill, roughly chopped
- 160g self raising flour
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, split into yolk and white
- 300 ml whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 150g Birds Eye Garden Peas
- 30g cream cheese
- Salt and peppe
- To serve
- Fresh chilli, sliced
- Cook the Birds Eye Southern Fried Chicken for 24 minutes at 180°c.
- For the habanero honey: Place the honey in a small saucepan with the chopped chilli and heat for 3 mins on a low to infuse. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Pour into a glass jar (if you don’t like too much spice, you can remove the chilli before decanting into the jar. This will keep in your fridge for up to 3 months.
- Make the sweet waffle: Preheat the waffle iron, as per the instructions. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a jug add the egg yolk, vegetable oil, milk and vanilla essence, whisk thoroughly to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white to stiff peaks.
- Next, make a well in the dry ingredients and gradually whisk in the wet ingredients to form a batter. Then gently fold in the stiff egg whites into the batter, and transfer to a jug.
- Once the waffle maker is ready, pour the batter until full, and cook for 5-6 mins until golden brown.
- For the pea spread: Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the peas, cook for 3 mins. Drain and place under cold running water until cold. Set aside 2 tbsp of the peas for later.
- Using the back of a fork, crush the peas until slightly smooth with some texture. Add in the cream cheese and season to taste.
- To serve: Top the waffle with the pea spread, and sprinkle with the remaining peas. Next slice the Birds Eye Southern Fried Chicken, and place on top of the waffles. Decorate with pea shoots and the slices of chilli, and serve with the habanero honey!