- 6 large egg yolks
- 200g caster sugar
- 250g mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 400ml double cream
- 250g Italian Lady fingers (Savoiardi style}
- 250ml cold espresso or strong coffee
- 125ml marsala/kahlua
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and stir to combine then place over a saucepan of simmering water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, whisking constantly - it is helpful to use an electric whisk here. When thickened and pale, remove the bowl from the heat and continue to whilst until very thick. When the whisk is removed from the mixture it should leave a 3 second trail behind it - this is the ‘ribbon stage’. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before mixing in the mascarpone.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture and set aside.
- Mix the cold espresso with the marsala/kahlua and dip the ladyfingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
- Arrange the ladyfingers in the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish and then spoon half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Repeat the process with another layer of ladyfingers and finish with the final half of mascarpone mixture.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight. When ready to serve, dust the top of the tiramisu and serve immediately.