Who knew that adding your favourite cola drink makes ham delicious?
- 1 kilogram gammon, mild cure
- 1 onions, peeled and halved
- 1 litre Coca-Cola
- For the glaze
- 1 tablespoon handfuls cloves
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- 2 teaspoons English mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon muscavado sugar
- Place the gammon in a pan, skin side down if it fits like that, add the onion then pour over the cola.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a good simmer, put the lid on, though not tightly, and cook for 1 hour. Skim off any scum.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 240C/gas 9.
- Take the ham out and place on a lined roasting tray. Let the ham cool a little for ease of handling. Score the fat with a sharp knife to make diamond shapes, and stud each diamond with a clove. Then spread the treacle over the skin taking care not to dislodge the cloves. Then gently pat the mustard and sugar onto the sticky fat.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes or till the glaze is burnished and bubbly.