- 150 grams uncooked rice for approx 400 grams cooked rice
- 1.5 litres good quality or homemade chicken stock or pork/ fish stock
- 40 grams ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon rock sugar (optional)
- 400 grams cabbage, sliced into 1 centimeter stripes
- Handful of frozen peas
- 1 courgette, quartered and sliced into 1 centimeter cubes
- 5 tablespoons good quality premium fish sauce
- 400 grams trout fillet
- 20 grams dill (approx 20 stems) with stalks, sliced to 0.5 centimeters
- White and black pepper to season
- Coriander to garnish (optional)
- Add cooked rice to a pot of hot chicken stock with ginger (and rock sugar if using). Cook for 15 minutes on a medium boil with a lid on.
- The rice grains will have soften and expand. Season with good quality premium fish sauce and a good pinch of white pepper.
- Then mix in the strips of cabbage, peas and courgettes and the trout to the congee and cook for a further 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped dill.
- Season with black pepper and serve warm with an extra garnishing of dill and/or coriander.