Cornbread with Fried Egg and Honey Butter
Why does honey butter make everything better?
- For the Honey Butter
- 250 grams salted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 red chilli diced and deseeded
- For the Cornbread
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup oil, butter or bacon grease
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 Egg per person for frying
- In a large bowl mix the jalapeños, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Add the buttermilk, oil and eggs and whisk to combine.
- Pour the Mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan and bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven until a toothpick pushed in the centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Cut butter into chunks and put in a bowl. Add chilli, honey cinnamon and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Roll in to a log and refrigerate, or use straight away. Slice the cornbread. Coat with honey butter and top with a fried egg.