Cornflake Jam Tart
A cornflake tart with a delicious jam layer and a crumbly crust
- For the pastry:
- 250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g icing sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- For the filling:
- 125 grams of strawberry jam
- 125 grams caster sugar
- 125 grams of butter
- 125 grams golden syrup
- 180 grams cornflakes
- Rub butter, icing sugar and flour together in a large bowl until they resemble fine breadcrumbs then add the egg, milk and vanilla and mix to combine. Turn the dough out of the bowl and briefly knead to bring together then shape into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper into a circle about ½ cm thick then use to line a 25cm fluted tart tin. Using a knife, cut off excess pastry and place the tart shell into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Scrunch up some baking paper and use to line the pastry then pour over baking beans and blind bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove the baking beans and baking paper and place back into the oven for a further 15 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Melt the sugar, butter and golden syrup in a pan. Add cornflakes and coat entirely in the mix.
- Spread the cooked tart case with the jam then spoon the cornflake mixture on top and bake for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting and serve with custard.