Crab and Sweetcorn Beignets
These doughnuts are a metaphor for life – sweet, savoury and full of sweetcorn
- 1 jar roasted red peppers
- 110 grams plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- 80 milliliters milk
- 1 large egg
- 250 grams white and brown crab meat
- 1 corn on the cob, cooked
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Handful basil
- Handful tarragon
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Combine the plain flour, cornmeal, baking powder and
- Season well. Add in the eggs and milk to form a batter
- And incorporate the crab meat, kernels from the cooked
- Corn on the cob and 2 red peppers chopped finely. Mix to
- Form a batter.
- In a bowl, mix together the shredded herbs, lemon and
- Cayenne with the mayonnaise and set aside.
- To fry, pre-heat oil in a large heavy pan to 170C. Form
- Little balls about the size of golf balls of the batter mix
- And drop into the hot oil. Fry until golden and drain on
- Kitchen paper.
- Serve alongside the mayonnaise.