Cranberry, Brie & Onion Tart
Golden brown puff pastry, caramelized onions, tangy cranberries and rich Brie...need we say more? This super simple, recipe is so good, you'll wish there were two.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, frozen
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 ounces Brie, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 1 teaspoon half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Take your puff pastry out of the freezer / or defrost in the fridge
- In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet set over low heat, melt the butter.
- When it foams, add olive oil, onion, brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, combine sugar and 1/3 cup water.
- Stir until the sugar completely dissolves, then add cranberries.
- Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and set cranberries aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place the puff pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Use a small knife to score (cut halfway through the puff pastry) a 1/2-inch border. TIP: This will puff up taller than the middle, which is weighed down slightly with the toppings, and becomes the "crust" to hold on to.
- Scatter the caramelized onions evenly across the puff pastry.
- Sprinkle the thyme leaves.
- Nestle the cheese among the onions.
- Drop small spoonfuls of the cranberries.
- Brush the edges with half-and-half
- Sprinkle the edges with brown sugar
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes