Who remembers these cream buns from their childhood? Serious throwback vibes!
- 500g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14g dried fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 30g butter
- 300ml milk
- Oil for frying
- 200g caster sugar
- 200ml whipping cream
- 2 tbsps icing sugar
- Seedless raspberry jam
- Mix together the flour, salt and sugar.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter then add the milk and stir until it’s lukewarm.
- Add the yeast to the flour, then add enough milk mix to bring it to a dough.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Put the dough in a clean bowl, cover, and leave to rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Knock back the dough, and divide into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball shape.
- Put the buns on a baking tray 5 cm apart, cover, and let rise for 15-30 minutes until almost doubled in size again.
- Bring oil for deep-frying to 180C.
- Cook the buns in the hot oil for 6-8 minutes, until golden brown all over. Tip straight into a bowl of caster sugar then place on a rack to cool.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar and put it into a piping bag fitted with a fluted nozzle.
- Put the jam into a piping bag.
- Split the donut buns along the top, then fill with jam and cream.