Creamy Tomato Soup In A Loaf
This soup-er dish hits the spot on chilly days
- Garlic bulb
- 1 small bunch basil
- 2 red onions, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 900 grams plum tomatoes
- 150 milliliters chicken stock, warmed
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- Round loaf
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Half all the tomatoes and add to a roasting tray with the garlic, fine chopped basil stalks and the red onions. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, pepper and the caster sugar and some olive oil and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until the tomatoes are soft but not coloured.
- Meanwhile hollow out the middle of the loaf of bread. Remove the tomatoes from the tray and place in a blender with the softened onions and basil stalks. Squeeze the soft middle from the garlic from the bulb and add too.
- Blitz until smooth. Add to a pan on a low heat and season to taste. Serve through the stock and cream and pour in the bread bowl.