Classic Crème Caramel
What's the difference between a Crème Caramel and a Flan? Doesn't matter, they're both amazing!
- (For the caramel)
- 200 grams caster sugar
- (For the creme)
- 600ml milk
- 5 large eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 140c.
- Put the caster sugar in a saucepan and place it over a medium heat. When it starts to melt all around the edges, give the pan a shake, leaving it on the heat. Continue to cook, shaking now and then, until the melted sugar turns to the colour of dark runny honey. This should take 5-10 minutes. Quickly pour it into the dish, tipping it around to coat the base and sides evenly.
- Pour the milk into another pan and leave it to heat gently while you whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl. When the milk is hot, pour it onto the egg and sugar mixture, whisking until thoroughly blended. Then pour the liquid through a sieve into the caramel lined dish and place it in a roasting tin.
- Transfer the tin carefully to the oven, then pour boiling water into it to surround the dish up to two-thirds in depth. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the custard is set, then remove it from the roasting tin. When it's completely cold, cover with cling film and chill for several hours in the fridge.
- When ready to serve, remove the crème caramel from the fridge then loosen it around the sides with a palette knife and invert onto a serving plate.