Curried Mac & Cheese
We're all about mash-ups here. We've improved curry in the only way we know how, mac and cheese.
- 250g/9oz macaroni
- 40g/1½oz butter
- 40g/1½ plain flour
- 600ml/1 pint 1½fl oz milk
- 1 tbsp curry paste
- 250g/9oz Cheddar, grated
- 200g mozzarella, grated
- 100g Poppadoms, crushed
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 50g/2oz Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- Pinch cumin
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8–10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the flour and stir to form a roux, cooking for a few minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Remove the sauce from the hob, add the curry paste followed by the cheddar and mozzarella and stir until it is well combined and melted.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix well. Transfer to a deep suitably-sized ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, roughly crush the poppadoms and add the coriander, red chilli, cumin and parmesan.
- Sprinkle the poppadom mixture on the top of the pasta and place in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.