Custard Cream Cupcakes
A classic British biscuit gets the cupcake treatment!
- 80 grams Unsalted butter
- 230 grams Caster sugar
- 200 grams Plain flour
- 60 grams Custard powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 240 milliliters Whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Eggs
- 120 grams Unsalted butter
- 350 grams Icing sugar, sifted
- 25 grams Custard powder
- 35 milliliters Whole milk
- 12 Custard creams.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Sift over the flour, custard powder, baking powder and salt and add the caster sugar. Beat together until the mixture forms a sandy consistency.
- In a jug, mix together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract and slowly pour it into the dry ingredients with the mixer on low.
- Scrape down the bowl and beat on medium/high until the mixture is smooth. Don't over beat.
- Pour mixture into cupcake cases filling 2/3rds full and bake in a pre heated oven at 190°C for 18-25 minutes. Once baked leave on a wire rack to cool.
- For the buttercream beat together the butter with 2/3rds of the icing sugar until sandy.
- Pour in the milk and the remaining icing sugar and beat until it comes together.
- Once together add the custard powder and beat until light and fluffy.
- Step 9- Place into a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe a small blob into the centre and pipe a swirl around. Continue piping another swirl on top of the first one.
- Decorate with a custard cream.