Deep Fried Truffled Mac 'n' Cheese
Why wouldn't you deep fry your mac and cheese!?
- 500 grams Macaroni pasta
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil
- 1 black truffle
- 30 grams plain flour
- 30 grams butter
- 750 milliliters semi skimmed milk
- 100 grams cheddar cheese, grated
- 100 grams parmesan cheese, grated
- 50 grams mozzarella cheese, grated
- 150 grams panko breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs
- 50 grams plain flour
- 3 liters vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Cook the macaroni according to the pack instructions until al dente. Begin the white sauce by melting the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Add in the flour to combine and gradually whisk in the milk little by little, until you achieve a slightly thick consistency. Add in the cheeses, whisk further to melt and add truffle oil and grated truffle to taste.
- When the pasta is cooked combine with the white sauce and pour out into a baking dish lined with greaseproof paper.
- Sprinkle some remaining cheese on top and transfer to an oven pre-heated to 220C for 30 minutes until bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool fully in the fridge.
- Once cooled, prise the mac n cheese out of the dish and place onto a chopping board - it should hold together in one piece. Cut out cubes of the cooled mac n cheese and set aside.
- Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl and set aside, and on separate plates lay out the flour and breadcrumbs.
- Dip the mac n cheese cubes into the flour, egg and then breadcrumbs - Deep fry until golden and serve.