- 2 medium egg whites
- 100g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cornflour
- Yellow food colouring paste
- Orange food colouring paste
- Black icing pen, to decorate
- Heat oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and put a medium-sized plain nozzle on one piping bag and a very small plain nozzle on a separate piping bag.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are very stiff. Add the sugar a spoonful at a time and continue to whisk until the mixture is firm and shiny.
- Stir the cornflour into the meringue, along with a small amount of yellow food colouring. Whisk again until you have a very thick, firm and glossy pale yellow meringue. Remove a large spoonful of the meringue from the bowl, place into a smaller bowl and add a tiny bit of orange food colouring, stirring to combine.
- Using a paintbrush, paint a small amount of yellow food colouring onto the inside of the piping bag fitted with the larger nozzle then carefully spoon the yellow meringue into the piping bag. Spoon the orange meringue into the piping bag with the smaller nozzle.
- Pipe about 25 meringue kisses with the yellow meringue onto the baking sheet and then add a little beak of orange meringue onto each kiss.
- Cook in the oven for 30 mins until they are crisp, firm and come off the baking parchment easily. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To decorate, use the black icing pen to draw eyes on each chick.