- 110 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 55 grams caster sugar
- 60 grams light brown sugar
- 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 200 grams plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Handful of hard sweets, such as Jolly Ranchers
- Beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Next, add the zest of 1 orange, vanilla extract and egg, and beat again to combine.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until everything is combined. Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Roll the dough to the thickness of a pound coin and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once cool, using star cutters or any shape of your choice, cut one large star and then cut a smaller star in the middle and place them on a baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Crush your hard sweets and sprinkle them in the star hole of each biscuit. Place in the fridge for another 15 minutes.
- Bake at 190°C for 8 minutes, or until just golden.
- As soon as they come out of the oven, use a toothpick or skewer to create a small hole at the top of the biscuit for the string.
- Allow the biscuits to cool completely, then place some festive string through each biscuit and hang on the tree.