Our Enchilada Lasagne is the perfect comfort food for the whole family. Layers and layers of cheesy goodness that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- 2 cans pinto beans
- 1 small white onion, blitzed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 6 tbsp pork fat or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, minced
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 500ml passata
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 1 ltr whole milk
- 150g cheddar
- 150g monterey jack
- 2 packet tortilla
- 100g cheddar
- 100g monterey jack
- 100g mozzarella
- 2 green jalapenos, sliced
- Gently warm the pork fat, add the onion paste and cook for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another two minutes.
- Tip in the beans and 200ml bean water and bring to the boil.
- Stir and mash the beans with a wooden spoon until thick and creamy.
- For the tex mex sauce: heat the oil and cook the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the salt, sugar and tomatoes and cook for around 15 minutes, until it reaches a sauce consistency.
- For the béchamel sauce: warm the butter and add the flour.
- Mix to a paste then slowly add the milk.
- Stir while it thickens, for around 5 minutes.
- Add the cheeses and remove from the heat as soon as it’s mixed in.
- Preheat the oven to 190 C.
- Start with tomato sauce and layer up the dish: tomato sauce, cheese, tortilla, beans, béchamel, tortilla, tomato sauce, cheese, tortilla, beans, béchamel, tortilla
- Finish with a layer of béchamel then cheese and load with the jalapeño slices.
- Cook for 25 minutes until bubbling and brown on top.