Feta and Spinach Swirl
This crown of cheese is ready to be the star of any dinner party!
- 500 grams Spinach - Hard Stems removed - Roughly chopped, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 Large bunch of chard- Roughly chopped, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2-3 Spring onions- Finely sliced
- Large handful of parsley - Leaves roughly chopped
- 200 grams Feta - Crumbled
- 3 tablespoons of mascarpone
- Generous sprinkle of sea salt flakes
- Generous sprinkle of white pepper and several turns of freshly ground black pepper
- Zest of half a lemon
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- Several glugs of rape seed oil
- 1 Egg - Whisked
- Transfer both the spinach and chard to large frying pan, gently cook over a medium heat until the leaves wilt.
- Transfer to a clean tea towel or kitchen paper and squeeze out any excess water. Next combine all remaining ingredients so everything is evenly seasoned and the mascarpone and feta is mixed throughout the leaves then add plenty of seasoning and set to one side.
- Lay out two sheets of filo pastry lengthways, over lapping slightly, so its roughly 28 inches. Brush with a light layer of oil, then over lap them slightly. Lay another two sheets on top and repeat the process so your pastry is three sheets thick.
- Place the spinach and feta filling in a long line lengthways down the middle of the pastry then fold up once side of the pastry and coat with a layer of whisked egg. Next fold over the side of the pastry using the egg wash to stick the layers of pastry together.
- Take your baking dish and lightly grease, gently roll up your pastry so it's in a spiral.
- Add sea salt flakes and black pepper, and sesame seeds and bake for 15 minutes on 200 degrees Celsius or until golden.