Filipino Inspired Bistek Bowl
This is our kind of breakfast bowl. Next time you're in the mood for a beef bowl, try this Filipino bistek bowl! It's beef steak with swag.
- For the bistek:
- 1.5 pounds ribeye, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- Juice from one lemon
- 1/4 cup water
- Ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons canola or veg oil
- For the rest:
- 1 sunny-side up egg
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups steamed white rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Make the rice: heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan and add 3 tablespoons of garlic. Once golden brown and crispy, quickly add steamed rice and combine well. Season with salt and pepper. After about 5 minutes, turn off heat.
- Make the spinach: heat 1 tablespoon oil in another pan. Add garlic and spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Once the spinach has wilted, turn off heat.
- Make the bistek: to a bowl, add beef, garlic, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Thoroughly coat the beef with the marinade and let sit in the fridge for at least one hour or overnight
- Heat canola oil in a pan on medium high heat. Add beef along with marinade and cook uncovered for about 8 minutes. Add water and onions and turn heat to high. Cook and stir for another 5 minutes.
- To serve, add garlic rice to a bowl and top with bistek over 1/3, spinach in another, and sunny side up egg.