Fluffy Pancake Layer Cake
What do you get when you combine a Victoria Sponge Cake with pancakes... This fluffy tower of awesomeness!
- 200g plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 230ml milk
- 4 egg whites
- 300g butter, at room temperature
- 600g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 150ml double cream
- 1 jar raspberry jam
- 8 - 10 raspberries
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Mix together the egg yolks, flour and sugar, then whisk in the milk slowly, to avoid lumps. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form when lifted.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the pancake batter, until just incorporated, making sure not to deflate the batter.
- Lightly grease and a crepe pan or non-stick frying pan, and warm it to a low heat.
- Spoon pancake batter onto the pan and use a palette knife to spread it into a 7” circle, about 1cm thick.
- When the pancake starts to look cooked on top (put a saucepan lid over it if you think it needs it to steam and help it cook) carefully turn it over and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining batter until you have 5 pancakes.
- Once the pancakes are cool, whisk together the butter, icing sugar, double cream and vanilla paste.
- Build the cake by layering pancake, jam and buttercream - finishing with a pancake on top.
- Pipe 8 - 10 rosettes of buttercream on the top of the last pancake layer and top with the fresh raspberries. Finally, finish with a dusting of icing sugar.