French Onion Soup Cheese Toastie
French Onion Soup Cheese Toastie - a French classic in a cosy toastie!
- 50g olive oil
- 50g unsalted butter, plus 25g
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 10 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 250ml beef stock
- 8 white sourdough bread slices
- 100g cheddar, grated
- 50g gruyère, grated
- 50g mozzarella, grated
- Heat 50g butter in a frying pan and add the onions and a pinch of salt. Cook on a medium heat until the onions are translucent and, then reduce the heat and add the thyme.
- Cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onions are really soft, sticky and caramelised. Add the beef stock and boil until syrupy.
- Heat a pan over a medium heat. Spread the remaining butter on one side of every slice of bread, and divide the grated cheese and caramelised onions between four of the pieces. Place a buttered slice of bread on top of each cheese and onion slice and butter the top of the sandwich.
- Place into the hot pan, flipping the sandwich so it goes in buttered side down. Butter the side that is now facing up and place a few thyme sprigs on top. Place a cast iron pan on top of the sandwich to weight down and fry for 3 - 4 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.