- 600g onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- Knob of butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 800ml beef stock
- 200ml white wine
- Small bunch of thyme
- 1 small baguette, sliced
- 250g gruyere
- Finely slice all the onions and finely chop the garlic.
- In a large heavy based pan, melt the butter and add it to the onions and the garlic. This will need to cook down on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add in the picked leaves of the thyme and the plain flour and stir to coat the onions. Add the wine and let this cook down on a medium heat for a couple of minutes, before adding the beef stock and bringing to the boil.
- Meanwhile toast the giant croutons and grate all the cheese.
- Once ready, divide the soup into bowls, add in the croutons and top with the cheese. Place under a hot grill for a few minutes until bubbling, before serving.