Fried Lasagne Bites
Roll up Roll up! These meaty, cheesy lasagne bites are a sure winner!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 100ml red wine
- 1 beef stock cube
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig oregano
- 25g butter
- 60g plain flour
- 250ml whole milk
- 50g grated parmesan
- Fresh lasagne sheets
- 2 free range eggs, beaten
- 150g fine breadcrumbs
- 200g grated mozzarella
- Parmesan, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan. When hot add in the chopped onion, carrot, celery and cook until softened. Add the minced beef and garlic and cook until the beef is nicely browned.
- Add the wine and stock cube then stir until the stock cube is dissolved, then add the oregano, rosemary, bay and tomatoes.
- Cook the bolognese for 20 minutes until reduced and thick, then remove from the heat.
- Add the butter to a saucepan and warm though until the butter has melted, then stir in the flour.
- Gradually add the milk - stirring to avoid lumps, then simmer for 5 minutes until the béchamel is quite thick. Add the parmesan and stir in, then pour into a shallow tray to help it cool quickly. Put in the fridge for one hour or until it’s set. When set, cut into 1cm sticks.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Take one lasagne sheet and thinly spread bolognese sauce on the lasagne sheet, then add grated mozzarella and a béchamel stick and roll up.
- Place rolls on a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes.
- When the oil reaches 180C, dip your rolls in plain flour, beaten egg then breadcrumbs, the repeat dipping in egg and breadcrumbs for a second time.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes until golden brown then drain on kitchen paper.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving, sprinkled with grated parmesan.