Fries & Ice Cream
Would you ever dip your fried in ice cream? This salty sweet combo is a total winner!
- 397ml can of condensed milk
- 575g double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 30g white miso
- 1 tbsp salt flakes
- 1kg sweet potatoes
- 1kg Purple Majesty (or other purple) potatoes
- Oil for deep frying
- Sea salt
- Black sesame seeds
- Put the condensed milk, double cream, vanilla bean paste and miso into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Whip until soft peaks are formed, then stir through the salt flakes, and immediately transfer the mixture into a large heavy-duty piping bag (or 2 medium ones).
- Secure the end of the bag, then freeze it for 2-3 hours.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer and put it into the fridge 20 minutes before you want to use it.
- Cook your chips in batches now, in oil heated to 180C. For extra crunch you can double fry them - for 4-5 minutes each time. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle generously with salt flakes.
- To serve the ice cream, take the bag from the fridge and give it a squeeze - you may need to massage it briefly to soften up the ice cream.
- Fit a matching-sized piping bag with a large fluted piping nozzle. Chop the end off the ice-cream filled bag, so the hole is 1.5 cm across, then put the whole bag inside the one with a nozzle fitted.
- Serve the ice cream piped onto hot, salted chips, with a sprinkle of sea salt flakes and black sesame seeds.