Frito Chili Pie
Hilah cooks up some authentic chuckwagon chili, and then shows you a recipe for Texas's ultimate comfort food - the Frito Pie.
- 4 guajillo chilies (or use 1/3 cup chili powder*)
- 2 pounds ground beef (or bison or venison)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeño, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes, diced (or 1- 16 ounce can)
- 8 ounces tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Fritos, grated cheese, pickled peppers, and fresh diced onion to serve
- Lightly toast the guajillo chilies over a flame or in a dry cast iron skillet, just until they change color in a few spots.
- Remove stems (and shake out seeds for less heat) and put in a small pot with 1 cup water. Bring to boil and boil about 10 minutes or until softened. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mince the chilies or puree them in a blender. Keep the cooking liquid.
- Brown the meat over medium-high heat in a large pot until no longer pink.
- Add onion, jalapeño, garlic, tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Add guajillo chilies and cooking liquid.
- Add paprika, cumin and salt.
- Stir and simmer 45 minutes to an hour, uncovered.
- Serve with Fritos corn chips, cheese, onion and jalapeños.