Garnish Your Own Mac N Cheese Bar
One giant bowl of mac and cheese - Pick you own toppings!
- 500g macaroni pasta, cooked
- 75g butter
- 75g plain flour
- 1.2 ltr milk
- 50g parmesan, finely grated plus 50g for the top of the mac
- 200g gruyère, grated
- 400g mozzarella, grated, plus 100g for the top of the mac
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt & pepper
- 2 slices sourdough bread, torn into rough cubes
- 6 streaky bacon rashers
- 200g mixed wild mushrooms
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- Pickled jalapeños from a jar
- Hot sauces (siracha, Tobasco)
- Truffle oil to serve
- Chilli oil to serve
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Melt the butter in a large oven proof saucepan. Stir in the flour to make a smooth paste and cook for 3-4 minutes. Gradually stir in the milk until you get a lump-free sauce.
- Add the mustards and some pepper and bring to a gentle simmer cooking for a few minutes until thickened. Take off the heat and stir in the parmesan, and all the other cheeses.
- Stir in the pasta and mix to combine. Scatter with the remaining parmesan and mozzarella and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and piping hot. While the mac is cooking make the toppings.
- In a large frying pan, add a glug of oil and fry the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan and add the mushrooms, frying until golden and cooked. Remove from the pan, add a glug of oil and finally fry the sourdough cubes until golden and crispy.
- Put the breadcrumbs, bacon, mushrooms, jalapeños and tomatoes into separate bowls.
- Put the mac ‘n’ cheese in the middle of the table along with the toppings, hot sauces and oils and let everyone add their own garnishes to their mac.