- 4 egg yolks
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 12 tablespoons (3/4 cup) butter cut into pats
- 7 ounce package flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- Whisk egg yolks, milk, vanilla together in a large sauce pan until eggs are combined. Add butter and sugar and turn pot over medium heat.
- Stirring constantly, bring mixture to boil. Cook about 12 minutes or until thickened and golden.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Spread icing between layers of cake. Traditionally the sides of the cake are not iced, but left bare.