Giant Mars Bar
Because when it comes to mars bars, bigger is always better!
- For the chocolate coating:
- 800g milk chocolate, melted and tempered
- For the caramel:
- 250ml glucose syrup
- 250ml double cream
- 320g caster sugar
- 125ml whole milk
- For the nougat:
- 2 egg whites
- 65 ml glucose syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 435 g caster sugar
- 200 ml water
- 380 ml glucose syrup
- 1 tsp malt powder
- 60g cocoa powder, sifted
- Melt 300g of the milk chocolate and temper it.
- Pour into a silicone loaf tin that is 30cm x 10cm and move the loaf tin round the cover the base and sides with chocolate.
- Place in the fridge to cool.
- Place all ingredients for the caramel into a saucepan and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved stop stirring but continue to heat until the mixture reaches 115 C.
- Place the pan into a sink filled with ice cold water and stir until the caramel has cooled slightly and thickened. Pour into the chocolate covered mould and place back into the fridge.
- To make the nougat layer combine the egg whites, 65g glucose syrup and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Place the sugar, water, 435g glucose syrup and malt powder into a saucepan and heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then add a sugar thermometer. Once it reaches 115 C turn the beaters to high to whisk the egg white mixture. When the sugar reaches 126 C remove from the heat and pour in a thin steady stream into the whites with the mixers still running on high.
- Once the mixture thickens turn the mixers down and add the cocoa powder. Turn off mixers and pour the nougat over the caramel. Spread out with a spatula to flatten. Place the bar into the fridge to set.
- Melt and temper 250g milk chocolate and when the nougat has set, pour over the bar to create the base of the bar.
- Place back in the fridge to cool the chocolate.
- When ready to use, remove the bar from it’s silicone mould and set over a rack placed over a baking tray.
- Melt and temper the remaining chocolate and pour over the top of the bar. Use a cocktail stick to create markings on top of the bar and set aside to cool.
- Serve in slices - or try and bite!