The weather outside might be frightful, but the smell from the oven is delightful! If winter has you in the kitchen baking these Chewy Ginger Cookies, then we say, “let it snow!”
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 (1 1/2 inch) knob ginger, peeled (1 tablespoon grated)
- 1/2 cup turbinando sugar
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 sheet trays with parchment paper or silpats.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt until blended. Set aside.
- Add vegetable shortening, butter, and brown sugar to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- While mixer is still running, add the molasses and egg, and beat until incorporated.
- Turn off mixer to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Using a microplane, grate fresh ginger directly into mixing bowl and beat to combine.
- Add the flour in three additions, beating until just combined.
- Add the turbinado sugar to a plate. Roll the dough into 1- inch balls about the size of walnuts, roll in the sugar, and place 12 on each sheet tray, leaving about 2 inches of space between cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotating sheet trays about halfway through baking time.
- Cool on sheet trays for 10 minutes.