Gnocchi & Poor Man’s Pesto
Poor man's what? How? Who? Watch this and see.
- 1 kilogram floury potatoes
- 350 grams flour
- 2 great eggs
- Grating of nutmeg
- Butter (for frying)
- Parmesan to garnish
- 8 leaves (approx 1 pack) of Cavolo Nero (aka black cabbage)
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- Small handful almonds
- 5 tablespoons Olive oil
- Bake potatoes for 1 hour at 200C.
- Scoop out the flesh while hot and either rice (with a potato ricer), Sieve (push through a sieve), or as a last resort mash (make lumpless, but do not overwork!). Potato must be dry.
- Mix with flour, pinch of salt, nutmeg, and beaten eggs. Always remembering not to overwork.
- Flour a surface and divide mixture into sausage 5. Roll into sausage shapes about 2 centimeters thick. Cut into inch long pieces. Toss in semolina.
- Bring a pot of salty water to the boil and drop in in batches. When they rise to the surface, they are cooked.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry gnocchi until golden on two sides. Add butter and let it go just until its about to burn. SERVE.
- Take the stalks out of the cabbage. And peel the garlic. Put both in boiling water for 5 minutes. And drain.
- Toast almonds.
- Blend everything with lemon juice, olive oil, salt.