Potato Dauphinoise was always great but have you ever deep fried it? We present Chunky Gratin Chips!
- 1.2 kilograms maris piper potatoes
- 500 milliliters double cream
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Small bunch of thyme, leaves picked
- 150 grams gruyere cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 70 grams unsalted butter
- Oil of frying
- Peel the potatoes and place in a bowl of cold water, whilst you peel the others. Once they are all peeled, using a mandoline if you have one, or a sharp knife, very carefully, thinly slice all of the potatoes.
- Grease a 28 centimeters roasting tin that's suitable for the oven, and start layering in the potatoes. Once one layer is done, season and add in a sprinkle of the garlic, cheese and thyme leaves and break in a knob of butter randomly dotting over the potato layer. Repeat with the remaining potato, finishing with just a layer of potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Top the potato dish with the cream so the potatoes are covered. Place in the oven for about 50 minutes, until golden and bubbling and
- Cooked through.
- Once out of the oven, leave to cool and cut into chips.
- Get the frying oil up to temperature and fry the potatoes until the are crisp, just a couple of minutes.
- Season and serve with dips. Delicious and oozy.