Smoked Haddock Colcannon
Smoked Haddock Colcannon - Your new favourite brunch dish!
- 1 small to medium cauliflower, cut into florets 200ml chicken stock
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced at an angle
- 100g kale
- 400ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 x 400g fillet of smoked haddock
- 2 poached eggs
- Chives, to garnish
- In a large pan, steam the cauliflower over the chicken stock until tender. It’s worth checking half way to make sure there is enough liquid in the pan, if it’s looking dry add a splash more. Blitz the cauliflower in a food processor along with the butter until smooth and creamy. If you find it’s too wet you can reheat it and evaporate some more moisture. Season with salt and pepper!
- Fry the spring onions for a couple of minutes or until softened. Add in the shredded kale and fry for 3 or 4 more mins. Season and then add the cauliflower puree and give a good stir. Heat everything together almost to the point where it’s frying
- Place the milk in a small saucepan with the bay leaf and peppercorns. Add in the fish and gently bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and wait 5 minutes then carefully remove with a fish slice. Flake the fish into a bowl and add to the cauliflower along with 2 tbsps of the poaching milk.
- Boil 2 eggs for 6 minutes or until softly boiled.
- Serve the colcannon with the softly boiled egg on top and a scattering of chives.