- 1 x 375 gram ready-rolled puff pastry sheet
- 12 tablespoons jam
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- Edible novelty eyes, to decorate
- Cut 2/3 of the dough into 6 rectangles (approximately 7cm wide and 12cm long) cut the remaining dough into strips of varying thicknesses.
- Lay out the dough rectangles on a large baking tray, lined with baking parchment.
- Add two heaped tablespoons of jam to each rectangle, and spread, leaving a 1cm border.
- Lay the dough strips over the rectangle in a messy lattice pattern, using a knife as you go to be able to use one strip 2-3 times.
- Press around the border with a fork, then egg wash the pastry and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and finish with novelty eyes in some of the slits.