Ham And Cheese Squares
These deep fried ham and cheese squares are the perfect snack or side for any comforting meal!
- 500g potatoes, peeled and chopped in half
- 1 egg
- 50g parmesan
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices gouda cheese
- 6 large slices ham
- 200g plain flour
- 250g fine breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs, whisked
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For the mashed potatoes: Place the potatoes in a large pan and cover with cold water. Season with 1 tbsp salt, place over a medium high heat and bring to the boil. Continue to cook until the potatoes are soft and then pass through a ricer. Add the egg, parmesan, chives, salt & pepper and stir to combine. Set aside.
- For the cheese & ham: Lay a slice of ham on a chopping board and lay over 2 of the slices of cheese. Repeat until all the ham and cheese is used up - you will end on a layer of cheese. Press everything down to keep everything together then cut around the cheese. At this point you will have a large rectangle.
- Cut into small squares - you should get somewhere between 18 and 24 depending on the size of your cheese and ham
- To assemble: Take a small scoop of mashed potato and make a ball. Flatten the ball in your palm and place a ham and cheese square on top of the potato- it helps if you have dusted your hands with some flour.
- Cover the ham and cheese square with the potato and place on a plate. Repeat until all the squares are encased in potato and place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Gently heat about 1 inch of oil in a large frying pan and turn your oven on to heat up to 160 C
- Take the squares out of the fridge and get your bowls of flour, egg and breadcrumbs ready. Place each square first in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs. Continue until all the squares are covered.
- Fry each side of the squares until golden brown on each side. Then place onto a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes to heat through.
- Leave to cool for 3 - 4 minutes before slicing in half and serving.